The Cafesjian Art Trust Museum (the Museum) is hiring a Manager of Education and Community Engagement. In this position, you will be responsible for developing the Museum’s education program, maximizing the educational value of exhibitions, managing the volunteer docent program, and promoting the Museum’s engagement with the community.
This position is new within the Museum, so you will be helping to form the duties and deliverables associated with this role. To be successful in this position, you will already have a working knowledge of current museum education best practices and standards, be able to put together plans catered to the art on view and frequently changing exhibitions, have experience in management, and be able to welcome, encourage, and engage with people of all ages, abilities, attitudes, and cultural backgrounds.
- Develop, plan, and facilitate programming and events, and prepare corresponding resources and materials as appropriate.
- Create interpretive materials to enhance visitor engagement and understanding of the art and exhibitions.
- Coordinate with the Executive Director about educational content and interpretive materials.
- Utilize assessment tools to collect data for measuring and evaluating program effectiveness and maintain statistics on program participation.
- Prepare and monitor effective budgets for educational programs.
- Recruit, interview, and assess volunteer docents.
- While coordinating with the Executive Director, schedule, plan, and lead training of exhibition content to volunteer docents.
- Evaluate docent tours and provide constructive feedback.
- Build the Museum’s relationship with communities around the Twin Cities, and work to encourage the visitorship of communities that reflect the diversity of this vibrant metropolitan area.
- Coordinate publicity for school tours and private groups and organize visits to the Museum.
General Work Habits
- Read and research to stay current, gain insight, and build knowledge on the Museum’s collection.
- Research and keep up to date with museum education best practices and developments.
- Willingness to train in light art handling to assist with exhibition changeovers on rare occasions.
- The Museum has a small staff, so cross-training and providing occasional help outside of normal duties is important.
- Perform other duties as assigned or developed.
This position reports to the President/CEO, though you will frequently engage with and be responsible to the Executive Director.
Position is non-remote, though work-from-home is available on approved occasions.
Pay Range: $60,000–$70,000
Full Time status provides competitive benefits including 15 days of paid vacation, 10 days of paid sick leave, paid holidays, medical/dental/vision/life insurance, and after one year, 401k with 3% match, among other benefits.
Schedule: Tuesday – Saturday 8am – 4:30pm with occasional evenings. Schedule may change to Monday – Friday during exhibition changeovers, depending on scheduled events. Must be available for limited travel as approved.
This position is not eligible for relocation assistance.
The Cafesjian Art Trust is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, art history, history, public history, museum studies or related field required.
- Experience working with children, adults, seniors, and people with disabilities.
- Experience and ability applying culturally competent teaching techniques.
- Interest in modern and contemporary art.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, and comfortable with public speaking.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Experience supervising, mentoring, and evaluating volunteers.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
- Master’s degree in education, art history, history, public history, museum studies or related field.
- Knowledge of Studio Art glass.
- Grant writing experience.
- Able to sit at a desk operating a computer for a prolonged period of time.
- Ability to facilitate a gallery tour for an hour at a time, up to three times a day.
- Good hearing and vision.
- Good hand-eye-coordination.
Please send cover letter, resume, writing sample (can be an excerpt, at least 300 words), and a list of 3 references to email@example.com by November 20th, 2023.
The Cafesjian Art Trust is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected characteristic prohibited by applicable law.